Monday, May 5, 2008

Autopartswarehouse.com gives you exhaust efficiency

I used to drive an old Toyota Corona ’83. It was my father’s graduation gift. He bought it at a used car lot. The first time I saw her, she still had a shimmer. It was an old car then, but you knew she would take you places. It was colored red and, although the bumpers were misaligned, she had tremendous potential. But I did not know how to manage cars. I was fresh out of high school, so I ran that car to the ground. It got bumps, dents and all sorts of engine problems. After careful negotiations, my father paid all the repair dues of that vehicle.

autopartswarehouse.com
I remember having to start the car and witnessing tremendous amounts of smoke funnel through the exhaust. It looked bad. The smoke was thick, to add to that, it produced smoke even if the vehicle was on a stand still. It frustrated me. My father agreed to pay for repairs and that was the first time I was introduced to the exhaust system.

I left my car at the mechanic (Joe’s I think) for a couple of weeks. I went there everyday to check on it.

See, when you step on the accelerator you actually let your engine inhale more air (Common misconception is that the accelerator allows for more gas). The air is coupled with a corresponding amount of fuel. The mix is called combustion. Now, imagine air and fuel being pressurized. This creates a series of explosions that are the source of the car’s power. This creates a lot of smoke. This is where the exhaust comes in.

The exhaust channels the gases away from the combustion manifold. The gases can compromise the combustion process. The exhaust system doesn’t simply lead the gas to the exits. These gases are still harmful to the environment. The exhaust system uses a catalytic converter to neutralize the harmful gases. A catalytic converter simply converts these gases to less harmful fumes.

Today, as most of my friends would attest, I have evolved to become some what of a “greenie” or pro-environment. That’s why I like Honda vehicles, instead of American brands. I try to do my part.

But for you guys, especially those who have older cars, I suggest you get the latest exhaust technologies available. The internet is a wide source of parts. You don’t even have to go to the garage nowadays. Here are some sites you might want to check,

(1) Autopartswarehouse.com - The search engine is usable. Almost all car parts of the known world can be found here!
(2) Partstrain.com – Good too, except some parts still don’t have write-ups. However, pictures and part other data are relevant.
(3) Partsbin.com – Great, especially for OEM replacement parts.

Just browse through them and you’ll see plenty of options and helpful articles.

- Dave Collins