Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Drink and Drive?

autopartswarehouse.com
Since Dave jumpstarted the first car stories, I would like to share a personal experience.

When I was coming of age, my parents never thought of giving me a car. They thought I was too reckless, too young, and too impulsive. To their credit, they were right.

My friends made an effort to teach me basic driving principles. We would spend long hot summer afternoons practicing in front of the local gas station. I was more than a willing student. No accidents ever occurred. Although I could move the car at a slow pace, I was beginning to gain confidence with my driving.

One night, I took my father’s Chevrolet Citation for a drive. There was a small get-together at my friend’s house. I made my way there. Of course, I exercised all necessary precautions to make the ride safer.

I waited for my folks to fall prey to slumber. Then, I manually pushed the car out the garage. To this day, I cannot find the words to express what I felt when I began driving that car. I think the moment had too much freedom. I rolled the windows down and played Blondie. Yes, it was that type of defining moment.

I finally got to my friend’s house (After making so many wrong turns). I was there. Alcohol was there too. Then came the eternal debate of to-drink-and-drive or to be sober-and-square? Of course, the latter was always the reasonable man’s choice. But then again, I was never known to be reasonable (Ask my friends).

There we were; a small group, drinking and having fun, keeping things real. Eventually, reality told me that it was 3am. I had to make my way home. It was still dark. As I was backing up, I heard disturbing sounds from my car exterior. I extended my head out the window to see, my fenders had hit my friend’s flower pots. I sighed and told myself, they won’t see that.

So I pressed on, driving home alone. No cars were on the road, so it made me feel at ease. I hit a U-turn pike, which was a minute away from my house. As I turned the steering wheel, once again, I heard a screechy sound. It sounded like metal. I was alarmed.

I stopped the car and put it on hazard. I went out to check the exterior. To my surprise, the left side of the front bumper was pulverized. To this day, I cannot find the words to express what I felt when I saw that. It was agony. I tried re-attaching the bumper, but it was just too much. I cut my losses and made my way home.

By the time I woke up, I knew that the judge was waiting at my door.

My father had me pay for the damages. It was not pretty. It was not easy. But I got through it after several months. I never touched that car again.

That was my first experience of drinking and driving. Now “not to drink and drive” maybe a cliché, but there is much truth to that. Nowadays, cars are built with breath analyzers that ensure the driver is alcohol-free. Still, breath analyzers or not, its best to moderate your alcohol intake.

Stay safe,
John T.